Surprise!: A PSMINI Fall Colors/Birthday Run
It's that magical time of year where the air turns crisp, the leaves start to fall, and everything begins to taste of pumpkin spice. As the driving season draws to a close, we also noticed just how many fall birthdays we have in this funny little club. Like, sooo many. Even our club's Vice President and Secretary. Also, long time run leaders and club supporters like Shari Waibel. So, how are we going to celebrate a great driving year and all of those birthdays? Surprise! we're going on a fabulous Fall Colors Mini run!
Jeff and Shari Waibel wanted to do something fun for Shari's birthday this year and are sharing with all of us. They are mixing up their well loved Fall Colors Run and turning it into a lovely dip down south, in and around beautiful Mt. Rainier and the surrounding countryside. Your presence is the present, as we take stock of this amazing year by zipping our way through one of Washington's most beautiful spaces!
Here are some run notes from run leaders Shari and Jeff on what we can expect for this awesome surprise run:
We’ll start and finish in Maple Valley.
8:30am Panera Maple Valley
Gather at 8:30 at Panera Bread in Maple Valley for a short visit while enjoying coffee & snack.
Following a brief driver’s meeting, we will head out at 9am to make our last trip around Mt Rainer for the year. We will visit some vintage trains, an old church, base camp, a fire-lookout station, winding rivers, scenic vistas, a green valley, open farmland and more!
Important Notes on this adventure:
- Lunch will not happen until 12:30 or 1:00 PM, so please bring a snack if you may get hungry. Or, we will be stopping a few times along the way where you can pick up a snack as well. We will dine at Bruno’s Family Restaurant and Bar. 204 Center St E, Eatonville, WA 98328
- Weather – As of now, it says we'll have clear skies, but Mid October could go either way on weather, so please be prepared with an umbrella in case it is raining as there are a few spots to walk around a bit and enjoy some points of interest.
- The Drive – This drive is all about the roads and the scenery, with a few stops along the way. Prepare for lots of driving as we cover about 200 miles, many of which are on winding roads. Don’t worry, however, as we have planned stops including restrooms about every hour.
Finish Time/Location: We estimate the return to Maple Valley to be by about 4:00 PM. If you enjoyed a good lunch in Eatonville, you may not be starving yet, but for those that want to celebrate the end of the season with us, we will be heading to Farrelli’s - 26642 Maple Valley Black Diamond Rd SE, Maple Valley, WA 98038, where we can tip a glass of beer or wine, have an appetizer, or whatever sounds good.
Got all that? Cool. As always here is a handy list of things you probably should do in advance or have available in your Mini to maximize your enjoyment of the run:
- Full tank of gas
- FRS Radio, channel 7 sub-channel 21 (arrive early and we can help you get it set-up)
- Umbrella and/or sunscreen (check the weather)
- Camera, you'll want to capture the views on this one.
- Snacks and water. Passengers get peckish, and you'd be surprised how much effort club driving can be, stay hydrated.
- Good shoes for driving and for getting out and looking around at our various stops.
- A coat or jacket
- RSVP- We know it's a "Surprise" run and all, but it still helps us to know who is coming and how many you'll be.
Where: Meet for our driver's meeting at the Maple Valley Panera bread location. 26535 Maple Valley-Black Diamond Rd SE, Maple Valley, WA 98038. We will be departing from there at 9:00am
When: Saturday, October 20th, 2018